Jan 22, 2011

Absenteeism

After a long absence, is it necessary to explain where you've been?  Sometimes I wonder how time gets away from us, and how things pull our interest in different directions.  Suffice it to say that I've been engaged in knitting lots of wonderful things and learning plenty about life.  How about you?

I've spent some time recently thinking about how to best use my knitting time.  In the last six months or so I've knit a lot of samples, developed several patterns for workshops at my LYS, and prepared things for gift giving.  I've swatched, knit from stash, and have been busy learning how to use some new design software.  All of these activities have sparked my imagination, pushed my skills, and had me dreaming about the future.  I've begun to label myself differently, both in my head, and out-loud.  Where once I thought of myself as just a knitter, I'm now changing that definition of myself.  I'm a teacher.  I'm innovative.  I create things.  I'm artistic.  I'm a designer.

I've been vision casting a bit, and dreaming about what my life will look like in 5, 10 and 15 years.  What do I want to be doing?  What do I want my life to be like?  Who do I want to be surrounded by?  I have some things written down, and things still percolating.  I'm not sure how this oft neglected blog will figure in to those plans, but I hope to be spending more time here. . .but I think I say that every year, and then beat myself up about not posting as regularly as I "should".  Several new patterns will be posted to Ravelry soon, and one will hopefully be up on the Knit Michigan website sometime in February.  I have a couple of design proposals I'm preparing for some publications--so keep your fingers crossed!  And will be featured on a podcast this weekend.  Listen in, and let me know what you think.  I'm a bit anxious about it, but you can be honest and tell me if I sound like an arrogant boob or a bumbling idiot.  Hopefully Lara will edit out the stupid bits.

Two sweaters have recently made it to the finished object pile, and several hats and mitts are on their way.  Interested in having a peek?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading, I'm eager to read what you have to say in response. Your comments help me feel that I'm not writing into a void. . .keep them coming!