Jun 5, 2010

You Spin Me Right 'Round

Last week, Joanie was able to score three fleeces--nearly 30 pounds of freshly sheared fleece--from a co-worker!  I quickly made some phone calls to find out where I should have it processed--and since I was headed to nearby MacMullan Conference center, it was decided that our car would take a side trip to Stonehedge Farm to have it evaluated for processing.

I was told the sheep was a cross between a Suffolk and Cheviot--both are meat sheep, rather than fleece sheep--but the fleece looked okay to me. . .very clean of VM and not too dirty.  Deb at Stonehedge thinks it may have some Romney in it. . .and thinks it will spin up nicely into a very usable yarn.  I've asked that 1/3 of the wool be processed into roving, and 2/3 into yarn.  Rest assured, I'll be asking for friends to share this yarn when it comes in!   By the time the wool is washed and processed I'll have in excess of 20 pounds of wool. . .start thinking about aran sweaters. . .

Kate took some photos of the farm, and we were given a mini tour!  Enjoy! Our guild is already planning a trip there next year.

I held this post for awhile trying to upload pictures, but my camera has been a problem for me!  I'm posting without. . .sorry!

1 comment:

  1. The pics look great! I also absolutely love your bathroom and the sink - well... It's wonderful. I'll show M. the pictures later when he's home. See ya soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'm eager to read what you have to say in response. Your comments help me feel that I'm not writing into a void. . .keep them coming!