Nov 3, 2011

Do Over.

Okay, I really thought I was going to jump in to the crazy pool last night and begin my NaKniSweMo sweater.  Really.  I have a stockinette swatch, have done some of the math required, plan to get the sweater in my head turned into an actual pattern, and want to put all of the technical reading I've been doing in the past few months to good use, and grade the pattern so others can knit it too.

But you know what they say about the "Best laid plans. . ."

When I was realistic about my time and energy, as well as the commitments I have to my job and to others in the upcoming months, I thought it probably wasn't a good idea to take that leap.  I did wind yarn into cakes, and plan to cast on my Philosopher's Wool sweater tonight or Friday so that I have some knitting to do in the car for our long trip.  My guild friends will say I'm cheating. . .but rest assured.  I plan to finish this sweater in November, and have another kit (and will probably buy a third) that I can keep knitting during the KAL.  It just doesn't make sense for me to pull myself into so many directions right now.

I have UFOs in the double digits.  I have designs only partially written, with submission deadlines looming.  I have lessons and samples to knit along with students in my finishing class.  I have annual paperwork to complete for my students at school.  I have a family that needs my attention. . .I have a full life.  I am just like most of the adults I know.  I do not need to add pressure to an already pressure-filled life.

So today is a do-over.  I'm reviewing the goals I rashly set for myself yesterday.  I'm setting a more realistic goal for myself this month. . .I'll be starting my NaKniSweMo sweater on Friday, so that I'll be ready for up to 10 hours of car knitting time on Saturday.  I'll be making a Philosopher's sweater.  It may look a little atypical for a Philosopher's sweater, but I think I'll wear it more.

I'm going to shoot for four posts per week.  Not daily, not "more regularly".  If I want to be a better writer, I need to write.  (At least that's what I tell my students, anyway.)  So look for me here.  Hold me accountable.  If you don't see pictures of my sweater in progress, ask for them.  If you think the silence is growing long, poke me.  I know my life is pretty mundane compared to some, but I'll try to share the "good parts" versions with you.  (bonus points if you know that reference. . .)

What goals are you setting for yourself this month?

(And thanks for the comment, Harriet!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading, I'm eager to read what you have to say in response. Your comments help me feel that I'm not writing into a void. . .keep them coming!